CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS
Last updated: 1/3/2010
Pasta has a reputation as THE carbohydrate for athletes.
Other advantages of rice include:
- At 23 grams of carbohydrate per 1/2 cup, rice packs more complex carbohydrate than pasta (at 20 grams of carbo per 1/2 cup).
- For riders struggling to consume enough Calories to replenish fuel stores, 1/2 cup of rice has 110 Calories versus pasta at 99, and potatoes at 68.
- Plus rice can be blended with milk and eggs to make a Calorie dense pudding that some cyclists carry in plastic bags for a quick snack on the bike.
- And at 4 cents per 1/2 cup serving, the price is right.
White rice (brown rice minus the bran coat) has almost the same nutrient content as brown rice but even less fiber, and it has a milder flavor. Your decision for one or the other should be based on taste alone.
- it is cholesterol free
- it contains minimal fat and sodium
- it is readily digestible
- it is gluten free - which means that it is an alternative for those who are wheat intolerant
- it is low in fiber (brown rice = 0.2 gram fiber per 1/2 cup vs. 1.5 gram of fiber per 1/2 cup for pasta).
- Rice cakes
- 1 cake = 35 Calories, 7 grams of carbo, 1 gram of protein
- Arlene's Creamy Rice Pudding
- 1 cup rice
- 6 cups hot milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place all ingredients in a pot that holds at least 8 cups. Cook over low heat (don't boil) for 1 hour. After cooling to room temperature, refrigerate. Can be mixed with fruits or flavored with cinnamon.
- Rice Crispie Treats
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 10 oz package (about 40) marshmallows
- 6 cups toasted rice cereal
- 1 cup raisins or dried fruit (optional)
- 1/2 cup peanuts or other nuts (optional)
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted
- Remove from the heat
- Add cereal. Stir until well coated
- Using a buttered spatula, press mixture into a 13 x 9 inch pan
- Cut when cool
Questions on content or
suggestions to improve this page are
Cycling Performance Tips
Table of Contents