CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS
Last updated: 12/5/2020
BIKE LIGHT STRATEGY - to flash or not to flash?
This is a nice summary - and a place to start with equipment suggestions.
BEST LIGHT STRATEGIES:
- when a driver sees a flashing rear light AT NIGHT, it is hard for them to judge how far away it is, and how fast it is moving. A steady light is much more effective for an approaching motorist.
- during daylight, when ambient light lets you identify the distance, a flashing rear light is more effective for catching a motorists initial attention.
- you should not cycle with only a very bright, flashing front bike light AT NIGHT. This also makes it hard for oncoming road users to judge where you are and how fast you are coming at them.
- daytime is definitely the time to flash those bike lights.
- at NIGHT - the best bet for maximum visibility is to have two rear bike lights (one steady and one flashing) at night. If only one, a steady light.
- during DAYLIGHT - a flashing rear light is best.
- at NIGHT - a steady light
- during DAYLIGHT - a flashing light
Questions on content or
suggestions to improve this page are
Cycling Performance Tips
Table of Contents