CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS
Detailed Table of Contents
I. THE PHYSIOLOGY OF PERFORMANCE
The Cardiovascular System - heart/lungs/circulatory system
- Athletic Improvement.
- Powering the muscle cell. (Basics for beginners.)
- The Musculoskeletal System
Exercise intensity and duration
II. THE PHYSIOLOGY OF NUTRITION AND HYDRATION - fueling
Physiology of Nutrition
- energy content of food; digestion & absorption; internal energy
storage. Includes the effects of exercise on digestion/absorption.
- A Basic Nutrition Plan - elements
of a personal nutritional plan to maximize your performance goals (training,
pre-event, during the ride, and post-event)
- "Healthy Diet" tips- how to
keep your heart and pancreas happy.
- Weight control
The first step as you develop a personalized training regimen is to
clarify your goals
and then honestly ask yourself
if they are realistic
. The recommendations in following sections
(especially those related to nutrition) vary with the planned intensity of effort
and the distance to be ridden
. Then comes the hard part, applying these proven training
strategies. This consensus document
provides a high
level summary of common elements found in all successful training programs.
- Training Strategies
- How to Eat (and when) - before, during, and after a ride.
- Nutrition and hydration strategies to support optimal training (and performance).
- Non-nutritional tips to
aid your training program.
- Riding technique and "special cases".
- Bringing it all together
- The Bike
- The "traditional" bicycle
- Clothing (and other protective gear)
New Trends in Equipment and Service
- includes shoes, helmets, and a unique crash sensor.
Headaches with exercise
Miscellaneous Medical Questions from readers including:
- Digestive system
- Immune system and infections
Accidents and Liability
- Cardiovascular - Palpitations, blood pressure
- Fatigue, Avoiding the flu, B12 injections
- Skeletal system - Osteoporosis
- Saddle sores
- Broken clavicle
- Statins and your performance
- Travel Planning - step by step
Mapping your route
Links to commercial sites that
might be of help (including clothing and equipment - no endorsement intended).
Plans for and status of a coast to coast rail trail.
- Glossary (Index)
- Archives - Past Performance Tips questions
- Reference Sites - research your own performance information
- Reference Texts
- Smart phone apps - for training and traveling.
- The author's personal first aid kit for a multi day tour
- Bicycle Trivia, bike history, and fun odds and ends
- Graphs and Illustrations from CPTIPS website.
Cycling Performance Tips
Homepage | Table of Contents