CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS
Detailed Table of Contents
I. THE PHYSIOLOGY OF PERFORMANCE
The Musculoskeletal System
The Cardiovascular System - heart/lungs/circulatory system
- Athletic Improvement.
- Powering the muscle cell
II. THE PHYSIOLOGY OF NUTRITION AND HYDRATION - fueling
Physiology of Nutrition
- energy content of food; digestion & absorption; internal energy
storage. Includes the effects of exercise on digestion/absorption.
First, set your goals.
- A Basic Nutrition Plan - elements
of a personal nutritional plan to maximize your performance goals (training,
pre-event, during the ride, and post-event)
- "Healthy Diet" tips- how to
keep your heart and pancreas happy.
- Weight control
The first step in developing a customized training regimen, is
to review your personal riding goals
, making sure they
. Some of the recommendations that
follow (especially nutrition) are linked to 6 common rides of differing intensity
. (Your rides may not
be an exact fit, but it will you a place to start.)
Then apply proven training strategies
- How to Eat - before, during, and after a ride.
- Nutrition and hydration strategies to support optimal training (and performance).
- Training strategies to support optimal training (and performance).
- Equipment and Technique Strategies
Combine your realistic goals with an understanding of nutritional and training strategies,
and you are ready to go.
Work on "Special Cases".
Bring it all together
- The Bike
- The "traditional" bicycle
- Clothing (and other protective gear)
New Trends in Equipment and Service
- includes shoes, helmets, and a unique crash sensor.
Headaches with exercise
Miscellaneous Medical Questions from readers including:
- Digestive system
- Immune system and infections
Accidents and Liability
- Cardiovascular - Palpitations, blood pressure
- Fatigue, Avoiding the flu, B12 injections
- Skeletal system - Osteoporosis
- Saddle sores
- Broken clavicle
- Statins and your performance
- Travel Planning - step by step
Mapping your route
Links to commercial sites that
might be of help (including clothing and equipment - no endorsement intended).
Plans for and status of a coast to coast rail trail.
- Glossary (Index)
- Archives - Past Performance Tips questions
- Reference Sites - research your own performance information
- Reference Texts
- Smart phone apps - for training and traveling.
- The author's personal first aid kit for a multi day tour
- Bicycle Trivia, bike history, and fun odds and ends
Cycling Performance Tips
Homepage | Table of Contents